Go Back   Devoted Fans Network > Entertainment Forums > Movies

Old 04-03-2012, 11:36 PM   #1
Summers
Summers
is a Superhero Geek
Back to the Grind...AHH!!

My Mood: Cool
Default The Punisher (2004)

The Punisher is a 2004 comic book action film, based on the Marvel Comics character of the same name, starred Thomas Jane as the antihero Frank Castle /The Punisher and John Travolta as the villain Howard Saint. The story and plot were mainly based on two Punisher comic book stories: The Punisher: Year One and Welcome Back, Frank.

Official Poster

Movie Description
Quote:
Special agent Frank Castle had it all: A loving family, a great life, and an adventurous job. But when his life is taken away from him by a ruthless criminal and his associates, Frank has become reborn. Now serving as judge, jury, and executioner, he's a new kind of vigilante out to wage a one man war against those who have done him wrong.
Trailer

when the sun shines out of your bum”
~ Amanda Tapping, University of Windsor Convocation Speech

arts: Myself/Tumblr
Summers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:52 PM   #2
Summers
Summers
is a Superhero Geek

Recent Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_Draven
Oh Wicked! It's definitely one of those guilty pleasures where you get to see a Guy [with a really cool voice] knocking off Scum! I really wanted to see the sequel but because of the bad reviews it just put me off. I don't know why they went with a different Actor when Thomas Jane was so cool as Punisher. But I'm sure it won't be too long before it's being shown on TV somewhere.
When talking about comic book guilty pleasures then The Punisher and Daredevil is on top of my list hehe . Oh, you never saw the sequel either? I heard about the mixed viewer reaction.

Thomas Jane was the perfect Frank Castle....

He had the right look, build, talented actor, and Jane really loved the character for what Castle is. To me he was the anti-hero Frank Castle. I guess even Thomas Jane could smell trouble with War Zone *shrugs*.

Quote:
John Travolta is basically type cast now where he just plays the same Villian in everything he's in now.
You know I really like John Travolta, but he just doesn't play a convincing villain. Granted he was awesome in Pulp Fiction, but by the end of the movie you are pulling for him along with double royale with cheese lol. I thought Laura Harring, who played his wife Livia Saint, played a far more convincing villain than Travolta's Howard Saint.

Last edited by Summers; 04-04-2012 at 12:04 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:28 AM   #3
Eric_Draven
Eric_Draven
has no status.

My Mood: Relaxed

Quote:
Thomas Jane was the perfect Frank Castle....
Definitely! I never even heard of him before then and I guess that's a really good thing because I had no idea what to expect. I think he nailed the vengeful emotion perfectly.

Quote:
He had the right look, build, talented actor, and Jane really loved the character for what Castle is. To me he was the anti-hero Frank Castle. I guess even Thomas Jane could smell trouble with War Zone *shrugs*.
The only thing I can thing of is because it was a reboot, they wanted to have everything different from the first - including the lead role. I was really looking forward to seeing it but because of the reviews and the clips I did see, it just didn't do enough for me to check it out.

I really hope they haven't killed off the Punisher but there'll be another one coming soon.

Quote:
You know I really like John Travolta, but he just doesn't play a convincing villain.
The problem is that's the only roles being offered to him now because he was so good in Pulp Fiction lol. I think in Punisher he just done what he's now comfortable with so it was pretty standard.

Quote:
I thought Laura Harring, who played his wife Livia Saint, played a far more convincing villain than Travolta's Howard Saint
Unfortunately for us Guys it was hard to focus on her because of the dangerous dresses she was wearing lol
Eric_Draven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:57 PM   #4
Summers
Summers
is a Superhero Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_Draven View Post
Definitely! I never even heard of him before then and I guess that's a really good thing because I had no idea what to expect. I think he nailed the vengeful emotion perfectly.
I first saw Thomas Jane in the movie 61* where he played New York Yankee baseball player Mickey Mantle. He did an amazing job as Mantle, and had great chemistry with Barry Pepper's Roger Maris (another favorite actor of mine). Not only is it an amazing sports movie, but Thomas Jane and Barry Pepper do an amazing job in bring the true life story to life.

I knew Thomas Jane could portray Frank Castle pre-Punisher days, but I wasn't quite sure if he could do him after or even in Punisher mode. Needless to say, my concerns were pushed aside hehe.

Quote:
The only thing I can thing of is because it was a reboot, they wanted to have everything different from the first - including the lead role. I was really looking forward to seeing it but because of the reviews and the clips I did see, it just didn't do enough for me to check it out.
I didn't really follow the production of War Zone, so I could be wrong about this but didn't Thomas Jane depart from the film. 'Cause he didn't like the new script, and messed with the constant scheduling conflicts at the time? It took forever to get War Zone off the ground.

Quote:
I really hope they haven't killed off the Punisher but there'll be another one coming soon.
I hope so too. Maybe someday they will go back to it when the dust has settled in movie format. Until then there is The Punisher tv series . I posted this a while back in the Marvel News thread:

Quote:
Fox Buys ‘The Punisher’ Series Adaptation From Ed Bernero & Marvel With Put Pilot

In one of the last big drama deals this buying season, Fox has handed a put pilot commitment to The Punisher, a series based on the Marvel comic from Ed Bernero and ABC Studios. This is one of two high-profile sales for former Criminal Minds showrunner Ed Bernero. He also has high-concept Western spec The Eye set up at ABC.

The Punisher is described as an hour-long procedural with a Marvel signature and a new take on one of the comic book giant’s iconic characters, Frank Castle, a rising star detective with the New York Police Department who moonlights as the vigilante Punisher, seeking justice for those the system has failed. Bernero will executive produce along with Marvel. This marks the first sale this season and the first one ever outside of ABC for Disney-owned Marvel,....
Source: Deadline

So if we can't get The Punisher in movie format I'm open for tv format because at least the character is still thriving in some type of media.

Meanwhile, I just bought myself The Punisher Extended DVD Edition yesterday . I always wanted to get it, but I keep forgetting to order it. I wasn't reminded about it until you mentioned the movie the other day. Have you seen it or heard about the additiional 17 minutes of new footage on the dvd?

Quote:
The problem is that's the only roles being offered to him now because he was so good in Pulp Fiction lol. I think in Punisher he just done what he's now comfortable with so it was pretty standard.
True, but at least Travolta's acknowledges what Pulp Fiction did for him . You know what looking at his filmography I take a little what I said back in my previous post. I thought Travolta played an excellent villain in Broken Arrow and Face/Off. I totally forgot those two entertaining movies. So perhaps some accountability can also go towards the writing and directing of Howard Saint's character....hmm....

Quote:
Unfortunately for us Guys it was hard to focus on her because of the dangerous dresses she was wearing lol
, it's a far trade-off considering us girls get Thomas Jane . I did find it amusing that they put Mrs. Castle in respectable clothes, but Mrs. Saint is basically dressed to kill....literally haha.

Last edited by Summers; 04-04-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:03 PM   #5
VesselOfLucifer
VesselOfLucifer
Inside Bright Falls

My Mood: Pensive

I am just lost because the punisher never felt like a good movie to my opinion.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:29 PM   #6
Summers
Summers
is a Superhero Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by VesselOfLucifer View Post
I am just lost because the punisher never felt like a good movie to my opinion.
Nah, it's cool . Perhaps your not lost because you know what you like and dislike *nods*.

Is The Punisher a great superhero movie or movie? In my opinion it's not either, but for me it was quite an entertaining guilty pleasure one lol.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:48 AM   #7
Eric_Draven
Eric_Draven
has no status.

Quote:
I first saw Thomas Jane in the movie 61* where he played New York Yankee baseball player Mickey Mantle
Aaah so that's why I never heard of this Movie - we haven't a clue how Baseball works lol. Having said that I did watch Moneyball and I really enjoyed that

Quote:
I didn't really follow the production of War Zone
No worries neither did I. The only thing I did know was while Thomas was still involved with the film, he was saying they were looking for a new Director but he was still attached to it. I have no idea what happened after but evidently the Studio decided to change everything. I'm not even sure how well it did but if the Character has been good enough to be made into a film three times then I'm sure he'll make another appearance again soon enough.

Quote:
I hope so too. Maybe someday they will go back to it when the dust has settled in movie format. Until then there is The Punisher tv series . I posted this a while back in the Marvel News thread:
I seriously can't believe that they'll make Punisher into a TV series! He's so violent! lol. The show I think it would resemble is Nakita so you'd have the guns n roses er I mean violence but not the blood and gory stuff. It could work where every week he'd be knocking off bad guys so if done right it really could be cool.

Quote:
Have you seen it or heard about the additiional 17 minutes of new footage on the dvd?
I have no idea! I'm really hoping it was too violent to put in the Theatrical release so I would love to check it out. You're gonna have to tell me all about it

Quote:
I thought Travolta played an excellent villain in Broken Arrow and Face/Off
But even then don't you think he was acting the same as every other Villian he was? I think you're definitely right in that he seemed better in those Movies because they were generally better and he had other great Actors around to help carry him. I just hope that when he does appear in a film, he will be different to what I'd be expecting. But having also said this I don't want him to be too different where he'd end up appearing in something like Battlefield Earth! lol

Quote:
, it's a far trade-off considering us girls get Thomas Jane .
I have no problem admitting he had a great physique in Punisher but as long as you don't act in a way where others around you suddenly turn to look at you and think 'what's wrong with her' would it be OK lol
Old 04-05-2012, 10:38 PM   #8
Summers
Summers
is a Superhero Geek

Quote:
Aaah so that's why I never heard of this Movie - we haven't a clue how Baseball works lol. Having said that I did watch Moneyball and I really enjoyed that
Then you will really really enjoy 61*!! It's, in my humble opinion, one of the best baseball movies since Field of Dreams.

Quote:
No worries neither did I. The only thing I did know was while Thomas was still involved with the film, he was saying they were looking for a new Director but he was still attached to it. I have no idea what happened after but evidently the Studio decided to change everything.
I went to Wikipedia, so don't know how accurate it is, but Punisher: War Zone Wikipedia page said Thomas Jane wrote a letter to AICN saying he had to pull out of the movie because he didn't believe in it.

Quote:
I seriously can't believe that they'll make Punisher into a TV series! He's so violent! lol. The show I think it would resemble is Nakita so you'd have the guns n roses er I mean violence but not the blood and gory stuff. It could work where every week he'd be knocking off bad guys so if done right it really could be cool.
So I take it you didn't hear about this lol? I wasn't quite sure about the violence and blood either cause it is on network tv. However, I've been watching Fox's midseason show Alcatraz over the past two months. I was kinda blown away how violent and bloody that show was able to go. They were able to go very dark into the prisoners' criminal psychies and criminal patterns. So the more I watched the show the more convinced I got that The Punisher could work on a network tv format.

Quote:
I have no idea! I'm really hoping it was too violent to put in the Theatrical release so I would love to check it out. You're gonna have to tell me all about it
Oh, okay lol. I'm hoping it was too violent for the theatrical release too, and/or showed more character development in the character(s). The dvd won't arrive until Monday, so I will check back with you next week.

Quote:
But even then don't you think he was acting the same as every other Villian he was?
Hmm....I would have to rewatch Broken Arrow, Face/Off, and The Punisher all over again to remember . I haven't seen these movies in ages lol.

Quote:
I have no problem admitting he had a great physique in Punisher but as long as you don't act in a way where others around you suddenly turn to look at you and think 'what's wrong with her' would it be OK lol
Nah, I would never do that lol. I would what is on-screen, but I'm realistic off-screen.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:31 AM   #9
Eric_Draven
Eric_Draven
has no status.

Quote:
Then you will really really enjoy 61*!! It's, in my humble opinion, one of the best baseball movies since Field of Dreams.
I loved Field of Dreams too! That was when Kevin Costnor was in his prime and actually making great movies. But it's great that he's mentioned because it goes back to Norton and what could happen to him! Costnor done some films that I think really affected his career but hopefully now that he'll be back in Superman, he can once again be back in the big films and do well.

Quote:
I went to Wikipedia, so don't know how accurate it is, but Punisher: War Zone Wikipedia page said Thomas Jane wrote a letter to AICN saying he had to pull out of the movie because he didn't believe in it.
Well since no one has gone to Wikipedia and refuted it then I guess it must be true And since it seems no one has really given positive feed back for War Zone then it looks like he made the right decision.

Quote:
So the more I watched the show the more convinced I got that The Punisher could work on a network tv format.
Shows that are on at night now do seem to be more explicit but it's good that they will never go all the way to what is shown in Movies. I too am convinced of it's potential and I really hope Thomas Jane would agree to star in that

Well at least I know there is something to look forward to, but am so glad that the standard of TV shows have become so good now. There's quite a lot of shows now that are worth watching

Quote:
Oh, okay lol. I'm hoping it was too violent for the theatrical release too, and/or showed more character development in the character(s). The dvd won't arrive until Monday, so I will check back with you next week.
Cool cool and no rush... make sure you take the time to proper enjoy it

Quote:
Nah, I would never do that lol. I would what is on-screen, but I'm realistic off-screen.
Hey it's cool! I just love the reactions of people around me when I'm in the cinema. I remember the first time I saw Angeline Jolie was in The Bone Collector and near the end of the film she came in a black dress and I just heard the sharp in take of breath from all the Guys in the cinema - it was brilliant!
Old 04-06-2012, 10:39 PM   #10
Summers
Summers
is a Superhero Geek

Quote:
I loved Field of Dreams too! That was when Kevin Costnor was in his prime and actually making great movies. But it's great that he's mentioned because it goes back to Norton and what could happen to him! Costnor done some films that I think really affected his career but hopefully now that he'll be back in Superman, he can once again be back in the big films and do well.
I really enjoy Kevin Costner's acting, so I can't wait to see him in Man of Steel. Anytime Field of Dreams, JFK, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, or The Untouchables is on tv I have to watch them lol.

Quote:
Shows that are on at night now do seem to be more explicit but it's good that they will never go all the way to what is shown in Movies. I too am convinced of it's potential and I really hope Thomas Jane would agree to star in that
I would love to see Thomas Jane in the tv production of The Punisher.

Quote:
Cool cool and no rush... make sure you take the time to proper enjoy it
Always do . Unless I'm on my vacation I take my time with my dvds. I'm still only halfway done with Justified S2.

Last edited by Summers; 04-06-2012 at 10:41 PM.